Thursday, June 24, 2010

Whats for Dinner

On my private family blog, I've finally found a way to motivate me to start posting some of our favorite family recipes. "What's for Dinner Wednesday" I'll probably re-post some to this blog from time to time.

This was last night's dinner... enjoy!

simple summer dinner


Back in the days when Carter was a horrible eater, couscous was always a go-to for him. Both boys really like it, so it's a staple around here.


Couscous and grilled veggies

Couscous is good for you, it's delicious and it's easy to make. I buy mine in the organic food section of smiths (you buy it by the pound in the little bin thingy) Just know that if you buy it in the box in the rice isle it may or may not be a bit processed. The good stuff is usually not in a box. But I have found some varieties boxed that are just pure semolina (the grain couscous is made from.

I usually just eyeball it, so I'm hoping my amounts will work for the rest of you who want to try it...

For my family of 4 this is what I do:

-2 cups chicken broth to one cup couscous
-a little bit of olive oil (maybe 1/2 Tbs? More if you like.)
-one garlic clove (I just chunk it into larger pieces, so those who don't want it can pick it out)
-seasonings: sometimes I keep it simple, just garlic and olive oil and salt, sometimes I'll add a seasoning that has sun dried tomatoes, garlic and basil. Whatever you like,mrs dash?)

Bring the chicken stock and whatever you chose to add to it up to a boil. Add the couscous. remove from heat, put a lid on it and leave it alone for 10 minutes or so. Fluff with a fork. Taste test. If it's still frim put the lid back on and let 'er sit.

My boys like it with frozen peas in it. I'll add them after it's all fluffy and done, it cools it down for them and it prevents the peas from being mushy. The like them a little bit more firm.


Grilled Veggies


yellow squash
zucchini
red onions (not pictured... oops, too much going on while cooking tonight!)
1 lime
olive oil

Squeeze the juice from one lime into a bowl. (If you would like you can use some of the zest and put it in your couscous depending on the spices you used. I did that tonight and it tasted summery.) add a bit of olive oil.

cut into long medium thick pieces, lightly brush both sides with limey olive oil. Salt and Pepper (tonight I also used a garlic and onion grill seasoning, ever so lightly)

Grill! You could also do this on a George Foreman Griller.
We like them still firm, not mushy. Do it how you like to eat your squash.

Sprinkle it all with fresh grated parmesan cheese.

Enjoy!

No comments: