Friday, October 8, 2010

family room {painted}

I know, it's about time! We finally painted the family room! What was the hold up? Well, for starters the master bedroom isn't finished, but it's oh so close, I'm waiting for something on back order, so what's a girl to do? How about start on something new? Yep, sounds like a plan!

Remember how I have a really hard time deciding on paint colors? No? Well, I do.

For the last 5 months I've bought tiny paint samples and painted squares on every single wall involved and judged how it looked in every light...

because I'm obsessive like that...

and because I've been known to have painters remorse, which is akin to buyers remorse, only receipts and returns don't cut it when you just know you've painted something the wrong color. It can be very disheartening, I tell you.

So I changed my mind again and again and then moved on to other things while I let myself have some more time to think about what I really wanted, because if I wasn't finding it, it was possible it was because I didn't even know what I wanted.

I wanted a neutral that was warm, but not too yellow-y, had a little bit of green undertone, not the pink undertone that our builder beige had in certain light, something that would wake up the space without fighting with every thing in the room for attention, and something that was subtle and soothing... In the end, I ended up making my own paint color using a paint my neighbor had in her home that I love and a few of my sample paints. I painted it on a piece of a board and then took it to Sherwin Williams a few weeks ago during the 40% off paint sale, and the nice girl at the counter color matched it for me. True Story. If you want my paint color, it's called Mindy Green (she chose the name) and it's at Sherwin Williams. I should have thought up a nice name for it, but she put me on the spot and I didn't know what to call it, so she got creative and named it herself. But don't be fooled, it's really not green. It's more like this...

(just keepin' it real, this is what a family room is used for, FAMILY, so it would have been ridiculous to make him move his puzzles so his crazy mom could take a perfect picture.)

I have more prints that I've ordered for this wall, and I can't wait to show you the wall behind the couch when I get finished with it!

The entry got the same paint. I'm very very happy with how the color turned out. We also painted all of the ceilings white. They were formerly the same color as the walls, and it's just a personal preference, but I like a nice clean white ceiling. White gives the eye a place to rest, and I love the contrast of white trims and ceilings and doors with painted walls.
I decided to just work with the height with our vaulted ceilings and make a grouping of photos that take up a lot of the space above the armoire. At first I worried if I went too high with it, but as we've lived with it for about a week now, I find it makes the room seem bigger, because it accentuates the tall walls. I'll be adding to this and hopefully it will be looking more complete.


It's not perfect, and I'm not even close to finished, this is round one. I've got plans for the wall behind the couch, that's round two, but it will really become what I have in my head when the basement is finished and these couches move downstairs. Then the fun will begin! [insert evil laugh here.]

14 comments:

Rose D., Frenchtown, NJ USA said...

The color you chose is stunning! But I have to say that I am in LOVE with the armoire color. It just makes that wall POP! And thanks for the photos, you've given me ideas for the one million photos I have taken of our two toddlers that remain in boxes under our bed!!! Have a fabulous weekend! :)

Lindy said...

Ahhh! I get so jealous when I read your blog! Haha! I wish so badly that I could make big changes and do fun things with my condo- but why bother at this point when we won't be here much longer. I'll have to save all my creative energy for our house. I so agree with you about white ceilings and moldings. We are building a craftsman home with lots of white moldings and such and I can't wait!! We have that exact builder- beige/pink in our condo and our ceilings,too, were the same color as the walls. Right after moving in we painted the ceilings white before I lost my marbles from feeling trapped in a pink box! Anyway, your color is fabulous and looks so good. Nice and neutral yet still bright. Can't wait to see you next project!

Tiffany said...

I think it looks great! ~even with the puzzles. :)

Tiffany said...

I think it looks great! ~even with the puzzles. :)

Lisa at Paint in my Hair said...

Very nice, I really like it. I know ALL about painter's remorse...I have painted my kitchen 6 times in 3 years! I just can't get it right.

Mrs. S. said...

It looks really nice-I like the way you arranged your photo's over the armoire. The color has my thumbs up.

Angie said...

Looks great! Love the color!

Brent and Lauren said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meg said...

Mindy your room looks perfect! I love the color! One question. What color did you paint the large B on your mantel? I love it and i am looking for the perfect green for a project. I am always so indecisive with paint colors. Help!

Jess@craftiness is not optional said...

it looks wonderfully fresh and lovely! the paint color is perfect and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the blue armoire.

Elisabeth said...

It looks great! I was also on the quest for the perfect beige. I know it sounds silly but I didn't want too yellow or pink either. I ended up going with Manchester Tan (BM) and I love it so much. It's like the perfect cafe au lait color, very creamy. It looks good in every light at every time of day.
I like your wall color because it makes the other things in the room pop a little more, esp the armoire which I love. I agree with you about the photos, they look good and I totally agree about your little boy! Makes perfect sense to have family in the fam room pics and I always enjoy people's pictures more when they don't look so perfect but like actual rooms real people live it!

Mindy said...

Thanks everyone! And to The Ganthum Family, the B on the mantle is painted in Krylon's Ivy Leaf.

Meg said...

thanks! you are the best!

Invest Antiques said...

Colors which u have opted for home are so beautiful and looking calm because I like neutral and light color. I like the way u managed home with a great space.
interior design