Thursday, April 22, 2010

fabric day!

"Hallo... It's fabric day!"
(As said by FRONK from one of my favorite movies, Father of the Bride Part 2)














I announced this to my husband  one day last week when he came home from work (yes, of course I said it in my Fronk voice). I had taken the boys out fabric shopping and I came home with loads of sample pieces.

(Note to self: fabric shopping + 1 three year old + 1 [almost] two year old= chaos.)


This is what I'm planning on doing with all of this fabric:



I picked this chair and ottoman up from a classified ad. ($30 for the set!)

I've been looking for a re-upholstery candidate  for over a month now and was delighted to find this one, it's in great shape, the cushions and frame are all good, it just has faded fabric and a tear in the ottoman. I plan on teaching myself how to upholster on this baby. I'll let you know how that goes.:)



















I love it's shape, and it's a good size for my living room. The couch in that room is kind of off white:



















So I'm deciding between those fabric choices (or something completely different) for the chair. I don't want a "stuffy" formal living room. I want it to be casual and inviting.

Any opinions on these fabric choices? Which ones do you like the best?

My other ongoing project right now is the master bedroom.

Here's what I've come up with for fabrics:


















All of this will be against the backdrop of my white duvet cover.

Here's where I'm going with it:

















I have most of it pulled together and was really hoping to get some sewing done, but my hubby has been out of town on business so it's just me holding down the fort with my little guys. (I don't know how single moms and dads do it, but those of you who do are AMAZING! I don't think I would do it very well, it's hard hard work!)

On this fabric hunting expedition, I also found all of these!

discontinued sample fabrics at JoAnn. They are already surged and the perfect size for pillow forms. All you have to do is attach two of them together or use a different fabric you already have as a backer.

















And at $2, that makes for a pretty inexpensive and easy pillow form!

Now I just need to get sewing (and upholster-ing!)

10 comments:

Staci said...

I love all the fabric but #4 is my fav. I love the chair too I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Holly said...

Oooo... I love it all! I am hoping you'll share a tutorial on how to re-apholster furniture. It's something I've considered trying many-a-times, but I've been too intimidated to give it a go.

The Mallen Family said...

I like #1 and #3 the best. I also love the white pillow with green and blue circles on your couch in the living room. did you make it or buy it?? just curious. I do like all the fabric though. I might have to have you come help me decide on some choices for my house! Love your chair your going to re-upholster. Andy did some cute little chairs for Eben's playroom. I will have to send you some pix of it.

TLC said...

I say use #4,or #6 for sure, it adds a little more color outside of neutral. Definitely combine one of these bigger prints with a smaller one (maybe #2?). The chair will definitely be a fun focal point against the off-white couch. I love your choices!

Anonymous said...

I would say 2 or 3. They seem to be fabrics that you're not going to regret later down the road and say, "Ugh, this looks SO dated!" I'm kind of laughing though, because it seems like everyone who has commented all has different tastes. Hehe...go with your gut :) Really pretty though, I like your ideas!

Mindy said...

Holly, I'll for sure show you how I did it once it's done!

Tiffany, that pillow is from Target. I bought it last fall, but maybe you could find one on ebay? It's super soft and squishy and one of my very favorites.

Thanks for the fabric opinions so far, its funny how everyone likes something different!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I'm just going to confuse everyone and say I love #5! I have upholstered furniture before, though, and I would stay away from anything you might have to match - #2 or #3. Your life will be alot easier, especially for your first time.

Chantalle said...

Hey! I am Tracey Hogan's daughter, love your blog. So I saw fabric #6 on Young House Love and they couldn't remember the name of it, do you know?? I have a lot of blue walls in my house and love that print for some pillows. Thanks! Also, I love #4 as well, neutral but fun.

Mindy said...

Chantalle! Hi, it's nice to "meet" you, if only via internet! So that fabric is called Dahlia/Aegean. It's from calico corners and here is the link:
http://www.calicocorners.com/product/designer+fabrics+for+the+home/shop+fabrics+by+color/aqua+and+teal+fabric/dahlia+aegean.do

it's also on sale right now. :)

Chantalle said...

Thank you so much! That was so great of you to find it for me :)